Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Men Tsar

I used to wonder how asylum residents could scream and yell or continue on other related mad behavior for so long. I mean, I was sure it would get tiring or boring at some time. But then again, I was the one locked up in the madhouse so who was I to judge?
Interestingly, my first-hand experience seems to have proven my theory right. Except tiring and boring just aren’t sufficient to stop madness from consuming you. Even after beating myself up for ten years, it just won’t let up. It just can’t assuage the pain. This probably explains these heavy duty chains bolting my limbs to the bed frames. So they have money to spend on chains but not on cleaning do they? Now I can’t even touch the new bandages.
I spot a movement near the edge of the bed.
Well, with my new accessories I can’t really do anything about it even if it was a demented killer determined to slaughter the first person he sees. One mad person deserves another, I guess.
Then Rabbit grabs my hand and rasps, “Save us, Alice!”
Before I could say, News Flash, Rabbit, but I can’t even save myself, the room, chains and all, dissolved into a swirling whirlpool of dizzying colours. And as gravity took its hold, all I thought was, What The Hell?
TO the uninitiated, falling is a boring activity as well. Especially if it happens to be a three-hour long one. It is occasions like this where the random insane thought comes really in handy. The impact knocking all breath out of me, I landed with a huff. Shaking off the effects if my sudden descent, I smoothed down my burnt, bloodstained dress and looked around, trying to get my bearings. And this…thing resembling a skeleton with four legs simply appeared out of the air and sauntered towards me.
“Chessur,” I drawl, unimpressed by his, well, unimpressive appearance. “I hope they’ve been feeding you, if at all. Though if you were considering getting as mangy as possible, thinning down that huge, toothy smile shouldn’t have been too much of a trouble.”
“I much prefer to see myself as…”lithe”. As for the smile, well, you can’t help who you are, can you?” Grinning complacently, he licked his paws and continued, “You, on the other hand, have gained quite an attitude since the last time you were here. Still adventurous and willing to learn, I hope?”
“Whatever, But I would appreciate it very much if…damn.” Did I mention? His disappearances are just as freaking annoying. Might as well make the best of my time here then.
******************
Walking through a rotting doorway, I pondered upon the possibility that this might be just one of the fantastic imaginings my deranged mind, perhaps further induced by some mind-altering drugs introduced by the devious Doctor, while surgeons in starched white gowns gleefully slice open my brain to explore the mysteries within. Of course, I was quite sure my mind was no longer capable of conceiving such a forgotten image, and even if it was, I wasn’t in the position to change my fate, was I. Which was when I bumped into the gnome.
If this was a dream, it’s definitely a very realistic one,
“Sure haven’t seen your kind in a long time. Mind telling me…Oh, don’t run! I’m not going to eat you!”
Just as I was about to go after the fleeing little man, who was fleeing fast indeed considering the sack of rocks on his back, a rather small and surprisingly strong ball of fur cannoned straight into me, knocking me down.
“Now excuse me, mist-" “Oh, do be quiet, Alice! We’re very late, very late indeed!” and with that, what appeared to be Rabbit bounded off further into the mine. Curiouser and curiouser. Though that brown suit is a nice addition. “Hey! Wait up!” I yelled, beginning to run. I can just see how this could be an exhausting return. Indeed.

No comments: