Sunday, January 4, 2009

Going Up

I didn't really like this piece, as I wasn't exactly inspired by the picture provided...still...

I stand there, going up. Alone.
Hmm. Where on earth am I? How did I get here?
That rising feeling. Handrails. An elevator. Must be.
Wait. Where’s Joan? My girlfriend. She never leaves my side. Annoying maybe, but now I feel so…empty and so alone without her presence.
I look around. Funnily enough, there is no one in sight. Come to think of that, there is totally nothing in sight. The elevator seems to be suspended in a midst of nothingness, except for a thick whitish mist that hangs about, engulfing everything but strangely not impeding breathing.
Then I see my blue shoes. It all comes rushing back to me.
We trooped on the streets as a group. Me, my friends and our girlfriends. Normal teenagers on a normal day.
Flush with the joy of pay packets that we had just received, all of us were ready to flaunt our wealth in front of each other and buy down whatever we wished. We headed for the nearest bar and bought round after round of drinks. Finding that we still had some money, we set our eyes upon the nearest arcade in the shopping mall just across the street.
Going up the elevator, we are caught in a drunken frenzy, and we decide to start fooling around. In a height of excitement, I vault upon the handrail. I tilted over a little due to my drunkenness. I go down many metres, screaming.
A soft, disembodied voice chants from above “Going up…”

P.S. It's title is just up there...

No comments: