Monday, September 22, 2008

A compo...

So well I wrote this in the common test...

All of a sudden, all fell quiet. At first I could not believe it. The enemy could not have given up so easily. They were, we were told, a battle-hardened lot, born and bred in the extremely harsh conditions of heir world, where only the fittest could survive.

It was, in fact, the Year 2987. Fights had broken out all over the galaxy. Two different factions, the Kravens and the Tudors, had launched an all out war against each other. With two extremely conflicting ideals, politicians from both sides had broken apart and declared a fight to the finish. Of course, their ideas were attractive to many, thus both factions drew hordes of supporters. The Kraven naturalist ideal, where everyone should take what they can and destroy the weak, attracted the powerhouses of the galaxy, while the Tudor ideal of having a community where everyone was equal, drawing the more fair-minded ones.

A paper war, a war of words and thoughts ensued. The more peaceful ones hoped the matter could be resolved then, and have the petty quarrel broken up through simple communication. However, this was not to be. The politicians and more fanatic supporters simply could not agree on terms favourable to each other. Thus, the talks soon broke down and the factions decided to settle matters once and for all through the last option available: war!

That was the story of how I came to be here. Earth, with its community of humans, was attracted to the Tudor ideal; we had to be dependant on others for natural resources ever since we exhausted our own in Year 2543. Years of cruel and tyrannical treatment over this matter had left us bitter, but we envisioned a much better life under the Tudors, where everyone would be equal, where we would be bullied no more and forced to pay higher and higher prices for oil and fuel. Unfortunately, the citizens of Venus, the planet closest us, thought otherwise. With some of the toughest beings in the Solar System, they saw no reason to end their tyrannical rule, thus the war between us. I vowed to fight to the death for Earth.

I edged nearer to the mini battle station gingerly; I could not be sure of the vanquishment of the enemy troops in there. Though we had kept it under furious assault with our bionic battle bots the entire past week, the battle station held out. Thus, we had no choice but to send in our most efficient crack troop. I had been ordered to kill any enemy troop coming out through the only escape route: the station’s main door.

An enormous explosion came from the other side of the door out of the blue. A concussion grenade, I thought, the most forceful mini-weapon on Earth. Whoever was coming out, he was dangerous. I jumped away from the door so violently that I stumbled and fell, and I was on my knees with the revolver scratching uselessly at my feet when he came out. Through the dust, I saw the Venusian: eight feet tall, with a huge muscular–looking body, he was probably the toughest of his kind. However, as the smoke cleared, I saw a much more intimidating sight. A fully armoured being he was, gold and crimson plates glinting in the sun He reached out his hand, and I thought he would smite me. To my surprise, he actually helped me up.

“Your kind has evolved to be an opponent worthy of us, much better than the weaklings a few centuries back. I am the only one remaining of my squadron. So are you. This battle shall be Earth and Venus’s last. Kraven and Tudor ideals can never come together.” He paused then continued, “We shall fight with battleaxes and with no armour. Accept my challenge or with my last powers I will crush you with a lightning bolt. Win, and my planet is yours for the taking. Lose, and we shall eradicate your forces on Earth.” All his plates were removed as he activated a switch. I had no choice but to remove my armour too. Hefting up the weapons, both of us prepared for the final, most climatic clash.

He charged at me almost immediately, and I swiftly jumped away, landing rather clumsily behind him. Taking my chance, I swung the axe for a killing blow. However, his reactions were incredible. Whirling around, he blocked the strike so swiftly that I was knocked off my feet. Landing some metres away, I almost blacked out. Still, I recovered quickly enough to defend myself from his second charge. Glaring at me with hatred in his eyes, he broke from the deadlock, swung the axe at my feet in a deadly arc but I leapt up high and evaded the weapon. Then, I launched myself towards him with deadly might, but he hit back my axe with almost the same powerful force. I was struck off balance once again.

I realized I was tiring out. He, on the other hand, was still ready for many more bouts. He was coming for me again. I was sure, and I knew, that I could not block such a blow again. With desperation, I flung the axe towards my foe. The killing force of that throw was incredible. The axe swung through the air swung through the air with deadly force and shocking precision. If I had not seen it for myself, even I would not have believed it. The battleaxe, at the end of its launch, had plunged itself deep into the heart of my enemy. Before I fainted from exhaustion, I saw him fall, and with it the Kraven ideas of his people. I won the fight and with it, the Earth-Venus war.


I know it's corny but still...

No comments: