Monday, June 16, 2008

Phew...

Well, finally finished my tuition homework. Here it is...

The Scottish Sun was once glaring, but now it barely got past the surface of the murky body of water I lived my whole life in. As such, I woke up everyday never knowing whether it was sunrise or sunset. Still, what did I care? Time mattered no more in my now idyllic lifestyle.

It was a chore, as often to lift my body out of the seabed. I flapped my four appendages up and down, hard, sending huge waves across the water, scaring away potential breakfast. Some burrowed deep in to the black muddy bed while other swam as fast as they could to the other end of the pond. It was futile to escape my jaws though. Spotting a rather succulent fish at the corner furthest from me, I simply stretched over my neck and swallowed it in one gulp.

I stretched my neck out of the water’s surface, and the bright afternoon light struck me full on the face, dazzling me. Afraid that I would leave traces of my existence, I dropped down without hesitation, my tail only leaving small ripples in its wake.

Ever since we had strayed into this dark, murky body of water and taken abode many million years ago, my family had lived peacefully here, or so I was told. However, at some point in time, there was a great catastrophe, wiping out all others of our kind except us. By remaining hidden under a thick layer of ice that had encased the upper half of the lake, most of the life forms in the loch managed to survive the cataclysmic event. However, slowly but surely, many of my group started dying off. Strange creatures, standing on two of their limbs, would hunt us down as food. I was the only one left now.

Now I could only lead a monotonous lifestyle day after day, and try to avoid being spotted by the beings on the surface. I am sure that they would capture me if they spotted me. Though indeed, a few decades back, I was careless and let slip evidence of my existence. A few of the surface beings spotted me, who had been sunbathing on the road, tired of my boring life and wanting a taste of the bright sun. Seeing me, they were, for a moment, awestruck to have laid eyes on me. However, I knew that their inactiveness would not last for long and so I attempted to return to the loch as quickly as possible, though I was, indeed, extremely clumsy on land. Fortunately no one believed the two and thus no one came after me.

For now, I still live, rather peacefully in the loch, although I hear from other inhabitants that many ridiculous legends have been cooked up around me. For example there is the one about my name, Nessie. I’m male! Such a feminine name...

Basically it's a story you would write if you were Nessie. I don't believe in her though...

No comments: